Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chicken Continental

Another recipe without a picture, but it's still a keeper! Tonight I was feeling way too tired to cook and I needed something fast. Some people have elaborate Sunday meals, but Sunday's tend to wipe me out and since I do a lot of intense cooking during the week, Sunday tends to be a "lazier" day. Well, tonight I was looking for something quick to cook based on the ingredients I had on hand in my bare cupboards and found this. Jeff pointed out that it tastes A LOT like rice-a-roni and I'd have to agree with him, BUT it's made from scratch so it's a lot healthier. (Really, I don't cook from a box...ever, unless you count brownies). Plus, it's easy and my boys LOVED it, which is a big plus! I modified the recipe slightly based on other reviews, but it was great! I just served it with some cooked carrots and fruit (I use fruit to bribe my 3 year old to eat, though he didn't need it for this meal!).

Original recipe, here.


Ingredients:
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I cubed them first)
  • 2 Tb butter
  • 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 stalk of celery, diced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 pinch ground break pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups rice
Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, brown the chicken in the butter. Stir in the soup, 1 1/2 cups of water, parsley, garlic, celery, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
  2. Add remaining 1 cup of water and stir in uncooked rice.  Simmer (covered) for an additional 10 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed.
    Mmmm...I love quick, easy meals that my boys will eat! I make really involved meals way TOO often. Like the lasagna the other day that took THREE intensive hours to make and then my toddler refused to eat!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! This recipe looks delicious and super easy! I am going to try it soon :) Maybe at your house. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete