Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cream-less Alfredo

I wanted to make an alfredo dish for dinner tonight using our leftover broccoli and asparagus that was on its last leg. Unfortunately it is a Sunday (we don't shop on the Sabbath) and I didn't have whipping cream, cream cheese, or half-in-half in the house, so I knew it would be a BIT tricky. Luckily, thanks to my good friend the Internet, I was able to find this recipe and it actually turned out really well. Plus, it's got to be a lot healthier than regular alfredo sauce, so that is a plus! Oh, and sorry, no picture of this one!

Original recipe, here (randomly). It sounds like it is from The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cookbook.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 cups skim milk (I used whole because we had some and I figured it would be closer to cream)
  • 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet on med-high heat, add onion and garlic and cook until golden.
  2. In medium bowl, whisk together the milk, broth, flour, salt, and pepper until well-blended. Stir the mixture into the skillet, turn heat to high, and cook until the mixture boils and thickens.
  3. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.

    This is enough sauce to coat a one lb. box of fettuccine when it has been cooked.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, next time you should call me because I'm pretty sure that I have cream AND half-and-half. I just keep those on hand because I'm crazy, you know.

    ReplyDelete