Sunday, August 23, 2009

Acorn Squash Soup


I think one of my newest favorite vegetables (well, fruit really) is squash. It's hearty, tasty, and healthy. I don't really remember eating it growing up so I wasn't sure what it would be like. I must say that I haven't really been disappointed in any of the recipes I have tried. Squash seems to have a naturally rich flavor - it's GOOD!!! This soup is made from acorn squash and is quite delicious. I used Carnival Squash, which is a variety of acorn squash and it turned out really well! Enjoy!

Original Recipe, here.

Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
Ready In: 30 Min

Ingredients:
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (I didn't have curry powder, so I used a dash of cumin and a piece of corriander)
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash (You can bake it in the oven, but I was in a hurry so I put it in the microwave for 8 minutes, then cut it in half and put each half in again for 4 minutes each)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Directions:

  1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter. Stir in flour, bouillon, dill, curry and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the squash, salt and pepper; heat through.
  2. In a blender, process the soup in batches until smooth (I skipped this step and instead left it kind of chunky). Pour into bowls; garnish with bacon (I don't like bacon, so I just ate it plain - still yummy!).
Serves: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment