Saturday, August 29, 2009

Winter Pesto

My friend, Rebecca, is a fabulous cook and so when I want to try something new, I usually steal a recipe from her blog. I have been wanting to try pesto for a while and since she had a recipe for it on her blog, I decided to give it a try. Yum! This is so quick and easy and is a nice alternative to red pasta sauce. I also loved it because my one year old seemed to like it! I've heard you can use pesto on bread and crackers as well. This recipe makes a decent amount of pesto, but it keeps well in the fridge if it is covered with one tablespoon of olive oil.

Recipe from here.

Ingredients:
  • 2½ cups tightly packed triple-washed fresh spinach, stems removed
  • ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup walnuts (optional - we didn't have any, but I am curious to try it with walnuts next time)
  • ⅔ cup olive oil
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used an Italian cheese mix)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft (we only had salted and it worked fine)

Directions:
  1. Combine the spinach, parsley, basil, garlic, salt, walnuts, and oil in a blender (preferably) or food processor and process until it is a smooth puree. Turn off the machine and scrape down the sides as necessary.
  2. Pour the pesto into a container with a tight-fitting lid and stir in the cheese and butter by hand until well blended. If the pesto is to be used as a sauce for pasta, stir in a few tablespoons of boiling pasta water to thin it out before using.

Get those leafy greens! I love spinach!

No comments:

Post a Comment