Sunday, August 23, 2009

Roasted Vegetables

I signed up to provide a side dish for a funeral a few weeks ago and since I had a plethora of vegetables from our farm, I decided to make roasted vegetables. I've made roasted vegetables several ways before, but this was the first recipe that used balsamic vinegar. I kept a few spoonfuls to taste (to make sure I didn't send NASTY food!) and I thought it turned out quite nicely! I must say, I like roasted vegetables! :) Also, I decided to add okra to this recipe because I had some on hand and I must say that I like the flavor of okra. I want to try cooking with it more. Expect to see some additional okra recipes in the future!

Original recipe, here.

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Ready In: 55 min

Ingredients:
  • 1 small butternut squash, cubed
  • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
  • 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • Additional vegetables as desired (I added okra and carrots because I had some on hand)
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine all vegetables.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss with vegetables until they are coated. Spread evenly on a large roasting pan.
  4. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.
Serves: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment